Monday, June 01, 2009

Mille Lacs Tonight

Encouraged by my results last night I decided to hit Mille Lacs from shore again tonight. I arrived at the lake around 6:50PM. My 1st stop was the Eddy's Jetty where I managed to land this 17 inch smallie on the white Rapala Subwalk pictured from the middle of the South Jetty.

Before I caught the fish I had a swirl on a swim jig and not hit it in approximately the same area I got this fish. I worked the Jetty with various presentations but didn't get any more hits, so I headed to Cemetery Jetty.

While I was cycling through lures I had a hit on a bubblegum Zoom Super Fluke but didn't hook up. I cast back to the spot and this time the fish took it hard and I landed this 14 inch smallie.

A little while later I was casting the white Rapala Subwalk and hooked into a similar sized smallie. I got it up to the rocks but it got off before I landed it.

The sun had set and much to my surprise Mike "Cyberfish" Thompson of MT Bucket blog showed up. He is a Currier and had a run up by Red Lake today, so he tracked me down on his way back. I had 4 rods with me so I set him up with the Super Fluke.

We were fishing and chatting away when I told Mike I hadn't gotten any hits on topwater as I was throwing a gold Berkley Frenzy Popper. I speculated that maybe the water was to cold yet. Pretty much as I was saying that a toad slurped down the popper. I knew it was a good fish right away and I was concerned about it staying hooked up which it did.

Mike did a tape measure while I held the fish and he called it at 19". The pic sure makes it look bigger than 19". This was the last fish of the night.

No comments: