Thursday, June 11, 2009

DNF & Stuff

I did not fish today or tonight due to a trip to Deerwood and Brainerd and the fact that I spent a chunk of time I might have used for fishing, getting my tackle ready to pre-fish South Long lake. My boater for this tournament is a 13 year club veteran and has fished the lake with the club 2 times, both in July (98,94). He doesn't like the lake, which is a refrain I have heard a couple of times before with my partners getting excellent results from the lakes they dissed. I have wanted to give this lake a try, but the previous club tournament results are not that encouraging in terms of limits brought in or big fish/big bags. However, as a general rule judging by Bass Snatcher tournament results the lakes in this area of Minnesota are better for bass fishing now than they were 10 to 20 years ago and it has been 11 years since they were last at Lower South Long.

The lake was surveyed by the DNR in 2007 and it showed an abundance of small pike (yippee). They did electrofishing for bass which came up with an abundance of fish but they were mostly under 11 inches, but in 2 years time those fish should be 12-14. This lake is really on my radar screen as a big dogfish lake as judged by the DNR survey results. Judging from the survey information the water clarity is about the same as Platte Lake, but South Long has much deeper water.

My partner has indicated that he wants to key in on fairly shallow vegetation/emerging slop. If we can get away with this, it would suit me just fine, bring on the big sticks! Also I would be able to get some good practice in on Platte/Sullivan this week.

Fantasy Bass Fishing: Things are not looking that good for me this week. In FLW I've got
Young 5th
Morehead 15th
Colson 29th
Jeane 44th
Moynagh 62nd
Ehrler 87th
Canterbury 88th
Dudley 108th
Fritts 132nd
Gagliardi 150th
I got rid of Bolton (2nd) for Jeane, Ouch!!!

Not doing any better with BASS
Herren 3rd
KVD 8th
Skeet 46th
Hackney 84th
Fralick 87th

But Day 1 means Jack Squat, especially at this tournament in the Elite Series where a couple of good fish can move a guy substantially.

On the Soap Box:
BassFan reports about FLW Pro Keith Williams
He said he ran all the way south and when he arrived, a non-competitor was on the hole he planned to fish. Williams said he politely told the non-competitor he ran a long way, and asked him to leave.

"Right in front of me he caught three or four, then left – I think that took a lot of nerve," Williams said.


I got to fish with Keith and his long time Bass Pro Dad and they seemed to be pretty good guys, but I think Keith needs an attitude adjustment. He is lucky the guy left after catching 1 good fish. Just because a top level tour Pro makes a long run to get to a spot does not entitle them to anything, especially on Day 1. Now maybe if the guy was a spectator on Day 1 and then jumped the hole the next day, Keith would have a point but there isn't any indication that the guy stole the hole. How does Keith know that the guy himself didn't travel a good distance to get to the lake, not that this really matters because if someone is on your spot, that is as they say "just fishing."

I don't have a problem with him politely asking to have the spot, he has a lot more invested in catching those fish than anybody else on the water except the other Tour Pro's. He should just be grateful instead of indignant.

No comments: