Friday, September 19, 2008

Bass Snatchers Serpent Lake Preview

Unlike most MN Bass clubs, we at the Baxter Bass Snatchers have 2 tournaments yet to fish. Tommorrow we tackle Serpent Lake at Crosby in Crow Wing County. Once again I will be fishing a lake that I have never been on and I did not get out for a pre-fish. My partner Mark does not have a good track record on the lake and he told me flat out that he "does not like the lake very much." He did get out to pre-fish at least once and didn't find much of anything. He may have gotten out for a second shot at it. From the past club tournaments it is hard to get a read on how things might go because they fished it in 2004, 2001, and 1997. The 2004 tournament by far had the most fish caught, but that was in June. In 2001 it was fished Sept. 29th and there were only 5 limits for 21 anglers, but who knows what the weather was like.

I don't know how clear the water is thanks to the MN DNR website being down tonight. The weather had been fairly cool for a couple of weeks until a couple of days ago where it has warmed up quite a bit. Hopefully this weather will put the fish on the feed. I am bringing 8 rods, which is the most I have brought to a tournament all year. Mark has a big Ranger so space should not be an issue.

I think the main plan is to fish spinnerbaits and swimjigs over weed flats which can be a pretty solid pattern at this time of year. I believe Serpent has smallmouth so I also will be loaded up with topwater, X-Raps, and tubes. Once again my goal is to get a limit and land in the top 50% for the day.

No comments: