Thursday, September 17, 2009

Two Tournament Weekend- Preview

Originally this Saturday's Baxter Bass Snatcher Club tournament on Gull Lake was going to be my last bass tournament of the year, but now I am going to fish in a tournament that pits the Bass Snatchers vs. The Range Bassmasters on Sunday at Mission Lakes.

Gull Lake Tournament- Apparently water temps are about as warm as they have been all year, so it is quite possible that more of a summer pattern will prevail. Still I plan to look for fish first on buzzbaits and spinnerbaits which are stronger Fall than Summer patterns. If those two things don't pay off then I will fall back on topwaters, tubes, and jigs. I suppose I better bring a rod just in case my boater Art wants to go in the reeds.

Mission Lakes Tournament- This tournament is for club bragging rights between the Baxter Bass Snatchers and the Range Bassmasters which is another Brainerd area bass club. I will be partnered with a boater from the Range Bassmasters Club, but that is about all I know about how the tournament sets up at this point. This tournament poses a dilemma for me in that I normally don't care about getting my half the day in the front of the boat. However, the way this tournament sets up for the sake of the club I probably should take command of the ship for 4 hours.

The only time I have fished on Upper and Lower Mission was at the last Bass Snatcher tournament of the year last October, so almost all of the spots I know on the lake are those of a guy in our club and I'm not gonna give those spots away. I figure that leaves me with the spots the Range Bassmaster takes me to, fishing in and along the reeds, and maybe hitting a large sunken island with coontail on it in Lower Mission. I think I'll just have to be ready to be versitile. Hopefully fishing will be good and I will bring in a better bag than several of the Range guys.

Update: Mission Lake tournament postponed.

No comments: