Saturday, March 22, 2008

Baxter Bass Snatcher- It's official, today I joined the Baxter Bass Snatchers Fishing Club. This club has been around since 1977. I blogged about these guys before when I was doing my links to MN bass clubs. The Bass Snatchers are also Bowfin Snatchers; 4 of the 9 Minnesota Bowfin Grand Champions are members of the club, I make it 5 of 9.

I am a provincial member which means if there are 34 guys ahead of me in the club. 30 is the limit of fisherman that can fish in a given tournament due to permit restrictions. If 30 guys fish than I'm out of luck. Apparently a person has been excluded only once, so there is a pretty good chance I'll get to fish all 6 tournaments this year. I will be fishing as a non-boater.

The tournament schedule is:
June 7 Farm Island
June 22 Big Birch (Grey Eagle)
July 19 Pokegama
August 23 North Long
September 20 Serpent
October 4 Mission

I have not fished any of these lakes before. Farm Island is fairly close to me and Pokegama is the farthest away. Big Birch, Pokegama, and Serpent have Smallmouth but Pokegama may be the only lake with a decent amount of them. If anyone knows anything about these lakes and can give me a few tips, I'd love to hear them. You can leave a comment here at the blog or email me: basspundit@hotmail.com .

Something unusual about the club is that even though it is a Minnesota Bass Federation Nation affiliated bass club, I do not have to be a MN Federation Nation member to fish or even be a member of BASS. I don't really have any aspirations of going to the State Tournament at this point in time, so I get to save some money. My mom did just get me a gift subscription to Bassmaster Magazine but I'm not sure if a BASS membership comes with that.

Attack of the Bait Monkey: Today I used my FLW Fantasy Fishing $15 Walmart gift card to buy some Strike King Zero's (super plastic senko's), a couple of Wing-It bobbers, and a #10 Pink Husky Jerk.

Also in the mail today I got the Team Daiwa S-100HSD reel that I won on Ebay. I didn't realize until I got it out of the box that it was a S-100 and not a S-103. The S-100 has a higher capacity spool. I will probably match this reel with my frog rod, St. Croix 7'3" Avid.

2 comments:

Michael Thompson said...

Congrats on joining the bass snatchers, now mabye we will see some fishin reports outta you this year!
Don't count on the bowfin championship this year putz-o!
I know where dogfish hunter lives, I had him on last year in my kayak on a bionic bucktail,did a tail walk and threw the spinnerbait six ft in the air! it was at least 15 pounds!I.m gonna git him this year!

HellaBass said...

Nice looking reel. Way to step up and join a club, probably get more fishing in this year!!!