From Minnesocold, Bass Fishing Blog Capitol of the World!

Friday, May 19, 2017

How Yesterday Went

19.33" SBKO (Chart/Hrng Bone)
7:30-9:20PM Platte Lake in the Trophy
10:00-11:00PM GOMH NE
Conditions: 59-50℉, Mostly Sunny, Light NE wind, Water Temp 59℉, Water level stable to falling despite the rain the past couple of days.

My plan was to wake up at 4:15AM this morning and hit the GOMH and possibly go out in the Trophy as well. I did wake up, but I stayed in bed until around 5:30.  I got up went to make sure there was no water in the windows downstairs, which there wasn't so that was good.  Came back upstairs and went back to bed. My back was tight and I didn't want to do the stretching.  I think I finally got up around Noon only to get back in bed around 1 and then I was up by 3PM.  The FLW weigh in from WI was just getting started when I got a phone call from Dad telling me to meet him at the Lake Place.  He would be dropping off the truck and trailer there with the bobcat he rented.  OK, no problem I needed to get the water in the boat pumped out anyway.  I planned to throw a few casts off the dock as well.

I was on my way and almost to 27 when Dad called my cell phone.  Change of plans.  He hit something and blew the drivers side front tire about half way from Onamia on 27.  I needed to go home get the spare tire and a hammer so he could get the lug nuts off. I did that and drove to where he was parked.  We got the shredded wheel off, the spare on and proceeded to the cabin without further incident.  I got the water pumped out for the most part, but didn't have time to fish.  

We got home a little after 5PM and Mom was making preparations to cook my walleye.  Mom did beer batter and they were delicious.  I watched what was left of the Bass Fest and FLW weigh in's while mom cooked.  I think I left the house to go fishing a little after 7PM.  I decided not to hit the GOMH first like I planned, but to go straight to the cabin and take out the Trophy.

After I got my stuff in the boat I realized I didn't have a plan for where I was gonna go.  So I thought maybe I would see if there was any action on the flat where I got them on topwater late last Fall.  So I headed to the reeds on the western boundary of where I fished last Fall.  I was so excited to start fishing I forgot to pump water out of the boat before I stopped moving and went up to the front.  Oh well.
23" Pure Poison/Swim Fluke Jr (bluegill)
I got a pike pretty quickly and took a pic because I wasn't sure I would catch anything else.  After fishing the reeds 15 minutes not getting another hit I decided to hit a couple of docks off to the West where never got a bite last Fall.
14" Shower Blows Knock Off (Chart/Hrng Bone)
Sure enough I got a bass to blow up the SBKO just off the first dock I went to.  Cool they are taking topwater tonight.  Instead of heading East to the other dock I was going to hit I looked West and got a nice one in between the dock I had just fished and the next one.
16??? SBKO
I didn't get measurement because I nicked a gill and she was bleeding pretty good.  I then got a small pike fishing out towards the reeds.  I also lost what I think was a big bass when I fubarred the hookset.  I didn't get anymore hits out so I went back in towards the docks.
10" SBKO
 I  got the dink, a 15.5", and missed a hit on the SBKO and craw tube around the next dock I fished.  The 15.5" came more out and between docks after the two misses.

I put the cast that got the big girl of the night right next to the floating wave runner lift meets the dock.  When the SBKO got to the end of the lift she smacked it.  Put up a great fight and I managed to land her even though she only had the rear treble in.   I should really think about netting these fish that hit topwaters with 3 treble hooks.
16.25" SBKO
Very next cast right up by shore resulted in my last fish of the night.  I did have one more fish come up behind the SBKO on this dock, but it didn't hit it.  I took about 5 "last casts" and then I broke off my line on what was really going to be my last cast.  Fortunately it was still light enough out that I was able to spot the SBKO fairly easily once I got close enough.  I headed in.

I gave the GOMH a try for about an hour.  I was the only person there.  There was some activity, but I didn't get a hit.  At 11PM I pulled the plug.

No comments: